Halifax Panthers fell to a 28-18 defeat as York Knights recorded their first win in five games in the Betfred Championship at a wild and windy LNER Community Stadium. 
Although Fax led 16-6 midway through the first half, they couldn’t capitalise on the good start head coach Simon Grix had been craving in recent weeks as two second half tries saw the Knights home.
The Panthers got off to a flying start, James Woodburn-Hall climbed highest to claim a crossfield kick from Louis Jouffret to touch down for a converted score in the 5th minute.
York hit back immediately as Oli Field cut through the Fax defence before switching it inside to the supporting James Cunningham to go over under the sticks to level the scores totally against the run of play. 
Halifax continued to press and following a Chris Clarkson error giving the visitors field position, the ball was worked right at pace for James Saltonstall to dive over in the corner unopposed. Jouffret just off target with the touchline conversion attempt, a tough ask kicking into the wind. 
And the Panthers would soon extend their lead, Saltonstall again crossing for his second of the game as he took Jouffret’s ball on the edge to race away before holding off the attempted tackle to stretch his way over the line. Jouffret’s conversion put Fax in a solid position at 16-6 up. 
But the Knights showed no signs of fatigue having played midweek at Whitehaven, and soon cut the defecit. Jesse Dee going over on the right edge after holding off the challenge of Lachlan Walmsley. 
And York would level the scores just before the break, a looping pass out to Myles Harrison saw the young winger cross in the corner leaving the score 16 all as the hooter sounded. 
The second half was a nip and tuck affair, as both sides tried to assert their dominance as a real arm wrestle contest emerged. Fax were industrious with their ball movement as they searched for an opening but the Knights defence scrambled well to hold us out. 
When Kyle Wood was taken out late in range, the Panthers opted to go for goal. Jouffret’s penalty edging the visitors just ahead 18-16 in a tight affair. But just two minutes later, the game would be flipped on its head. 
Following a scuffed last tackle grubber kick falling kindly for the hosts, AJ Towse scooped up the loose ball before racing away 80 metres to score under the posts and change the whole complexion of the game. Harrison converting to put the Knights up 22-18. 
The Panthers toiled looking for a breakthrough but errors would snuff out any chances as York played the territory game to perfection. Repeated penalties lead to the Knights camping on the Fax line and in the 75th minute, the hosts would strike the fatal blow. 
Myles Harrison diving over in the corner for his second of the game to end any hopes of a Panthers comeback. A disappointing result which moved the Panthers to sixth in the Betfred Championship. Full time score York Knights 28 – 18 Halifax Panthers
York Knights
Brown, Towse, Clarkson, Dee, Harrison, Cunningham, Harris, Santi, Daley, Michael, Field, Antrobus, Thompson
Subs: Fitzsimmons, Ta’ai, Ward, Pratt
Tries: Cunningham (9), Dee (27), Harrison (35, 75), Towse (57), 
Goals: Harrison 4/5
Halifax Panthers
Woodburn-Hall, Walmsley, Fonua, Crooks, Saltonstall, Jouffret, Wood, Larroyer, O’Brien, Calcott, Kavanagh, Gee, Fairbank
Subs: Tangata, Lannon, Inman, McComb
Tries: Woodburn-Hall (5), Saltonstall (13, 21)
Goals: Jouffret 2/3
Penalty: Jouffret 1/1
#FAX150 #MatchReport

You may also like…